St. Simons Island Airport
St. Simons Island Airport at McKinnon Field
|Location||St. Simons Island|
|Elevation AMSL||19 ft / 6 m|
McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport (formerly Malcolm McKinnon Airport) (IATA: SSI, ICAO: KSSI, FAA LID: SSI) is a county-owned public-use airport located five miles (8 km) east of the central business district of Brunswick, a city in Glynn County, Georgia, United States.
Located on St. Simons Island, it is also known St. Simons Island Airport at McKinnon field. The airfield was named for Malcom B. McKinnon, chairman of the County Commission when construction started in 1935. The airport opened on May 28, 1938, seven months after his death. During World War II, it operated as Naval Air Station St. Simons Island and was eventually home to the Navy Radar Training School. Although NAS St. Simons Island remained an active air station following the war, its activities were eventually merged into nearby NAS Glynco and by 1947 it was finally closed as a naval air station and returned to its current use as a civilian airport.
The airport lies on the site of Mulberry Grove plantation, which was owned by the Demeré family from the 1750s until the Civil War.
St. Simons Island Airport covers an area of 320 acres (130 ha) which contains two asphalt paved runways: 4/22 measuring 5,800 x 100 ft (1,768 x 30 m) and 16/34 measuring 3,313 x 75 ft (1,010 x 23 m). For the 12-month period ending August 7, 2007, the airport had 47,750 aircraft operations, an average of 130 per day: 98% general aviation and 2% military.
|This article about an airport in Georgia (U.S. state) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|